276 East 1700 South
Bountiful, Utah 84010
Summer Office Hours:
Mon.-Thurs. from 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
1793 South Orchard Drive
Bountiful, Utah 84010
Summer Office Hours: Mon-Thur. 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Saturday Vigil: 5:30 p.m. Main Church
Sunday: 9:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m. Main Church
1:30 p.m. (Polish, suspended until
Monday - Friday at 8:00 a.m.
9:00 a.m. & 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, 4:15 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the church
or by appointment
12:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m. in the Church
During his homily at Saint Olaf Parish's 70th anniversary celebration on July 11, 2013, Bishop Wester said the church has special significance for him because it was the first, outside the Cathedral of the Madeleine, in which he celebrated Mass in the diocese after he was installed as Bishop of Salt Lake City.
Early in 1944, a small brick bungalow at 55 East 100 North in Bountiful was purchased and converted into a church, seating 45 people, with cramped living quarters for three priests.
On Sept. 1, 1949, the parish that included all of Davis County was divided and St. Olaf was established as a separate parish including the entire county south of 41 degrees latitude (the Farmington Y).
On March 20, 1955, Father John J. Sullivan purchased an old red brick house with five acres of land at 1795 Orchard Drive for a future church and school at the cost of $16,950.
For nearly 100 years after the area was first settled by the Mormon pioneers, there were no Catholic churches between Salt Lake City and Ogden. The few Catholics in South Davis County attended Mass at the Cathedral of the Madeleine in Salt Lake City.
St. Olaf Parish was established May 26, 1943, as a Paulist Mission to include the entire Davis County. The name of St. Olaf, Viking king and patron saint of Norway, was chosen by Bishop Duane G. Hunt in recognition of the Scandinavian residents of Utah. Father John Mitchell, C.S.P., was the Paulist superior and pastor, assisted by Fathers Stephen McFarland and Francis C. Jelinek (Keyes). They held Masses and religious instruction at various sites throughout the county with the use of a trailer chapel.
Intermountain Catholic photo/Marie Mischel/July 2013
In 1956 there were 160 families in the parish. Father Robert C. Pollock obtained permission from the bishop to begin a search for religious women to staff a parochial school. Ground was broken for the new school and church building March 14, 1959.
On Oct. 27, 1954, the St. Olaf Council 5502 of the Knights of Columbus was organized, replacing the Men's Club that was organized nine years earlier.
In November of 1968, the first Harold's Night Party (now called Entertainment Night) was held. Profit was $1,800.
The New Church
By the beginning of 1978, the parish had 400 families. Father Thomas L. McNamara held a general parish meeting where it was decided it was time to build a permanent church.
Ground breaking for the new church and parish hall took place July 8, 1979. The basic structure was completed in April 1980. Parish volunteers finished the interior, including sheet rocking, painting, plumbing, and electrification.
The new church was dedicated July 29, 1980, the 950th anniversary of the martyrdom of St. Olaf.
By 1983, the parish had 500 families. The parish hall, the McNamara Center, was completed in time for its first big event, the annual Ladies Luncheon on Oct. 15.
On Aug. 1, 1985, Father William Mobley was appointed as parish administrator, and Fr. McNamara returned to Judge Memorial Catholic High School as its president. Father Rudolph Daz (now monsignor) was appointed pastor July 28, 1987. In 2011 Father Reynato Rodillas, SVD, became the pastoral administrator and was later incarnated into the Diocese of Salt Lake City. On August 1, 2019, Father Andrzej was appointed pastor and Father Rene Rodillas was appointed the pastor of Saint James the Just in Ogden.
St. Olaf has had 12 pastors over 60 years. We have more than 500 families, with a vibrant church and school.
Many parishioners have dedicated their time and resources to help create a loving community of faith. In the past several years our parish has developed more than 20 programs of service that bring our members together as we serve the Lord.
The generation of parishioners who helped assemble the bricks and mortar of the buildings we call Saint Olaf Church and School have passed the torch to a newer generation who are keeping the spirit moving forward. The Saint Olaf Pastoral Council invites our members to prepare for the next passing of the torch by stepping up and taking a leadership role in any of the programs of service that Saint Olaf offers. The council and your parish need you.
Saint Olaf Catholic Church | 276 East 1700 South, Bountiful UT 84010 | 801.295.3621
Copyright 2021 All Rights Reserved.